Weekday courses are now available !
From April 2019, we are running a new English course for young learners aged 6-12 (suitable for Japanese elementary school years 1-6) using the British Council’s original Primary Plus programme. Primary Plus is based on the principle of effective teaching in a positive environment. We believe these combined aspects elevate English from a short-term outcome to a lifelong skill to enable your child to make the most of their life by equipping them for future challenges.
In Primary Plus, children will tackle real-life tasks, working in groups and crafting researched answers and innovative solutions. The tasks are specially designed to match their developmental age, ensuring familiarity to the situation they learn in. Children communicate and engage with a variety of media, leading them to work collaboratively as well as to become more self-directed.
Based on extensive feedback and long-term development, Primary Plus gives priority to:
- A 4 skills approach leading to communication in English (with a focus on developing literacy skills)
- Ongoing development of vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation
- Building confidence and developing positive attitudes
- Knowing other cultures to better know one’s own
- A focus on the whole child: moving beyond language learning through the active promotion of creativity, critical thinking, IT skills and ‘learning how to learn’
- The integration of IT and ICT skills into mainstream learning
- Using and range of modern, communicative teaching methods including task-based learning (TBL), communicative language teaching (CLT) and content and language integrated learning (CLIL).
BASIC COURSE INFORMATION
We are offering courses at Primary Plus levels 1 to 4, with placement according to the English ability of students. Courses are for students with a range of abilities, although students must have the minimum English-Language proficiency specified below.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
Students should be
- able to write and recognise all the names and sounds of letters Aa-Zz in upper and lower-case.
- able to read and say simple, phonically-regular words.
- write their own names.
- able to attempt to spell phonically-regular words.
- familiar with basic greetings and able to follow simple classroom instructions (sit down, stand up, listen, open your booklet etc.).
- Sunday Course
Sunday 7 April – Sunday 30 June 2019 (12 weeks) 3hours x 12week (36 hours in total).*
- Weekday Course
Wednesday 10 April-Friday 5 July 2019 (12 weeks) 1.5h x 2 days/week (36 hours in total). *
Primary Plus1 – 9.00am to 12.00pm (including 15 minutes break)
Primary Plus2 – 9.00am to 12.00pm (including 15 minutes break)
Primary Plus3 – 1.30pm to 4.30pm (including 15 minutes break)
Primary Plus4 – 1.30pm to 4.30pm (including 15 minutes break)
•Weekday Course - Wednesday & Friday afternoon (2x Lessons per week)
Primary Plus1 – 4.30pm to 6.00pm (including 5 minutes break)
Primary Plus2 – 4.30am to 6.00pm (including 5 minutes break)
Primary Plus3 – 4.30pm to 6.00pm (including 5 minutes break)
Class Style: Group
Venue: British Council (Iidabashi, Tokyo)
Course fee: 140,400 JPY (excl tax) Materials are included. No registration fee required.
Age: Children must be studying at Elementary school and aged between 6 and 12 years old.
*No class on Sunday 5 May 2019
*No class on Wed, 01 May & Fri, 03 May
*We offer face to face Study Support every week. This is designed to allow students who are sick or have a school event to be able to catch up on missed work.
How to register
If your child satisfies course requirements for age and minimum English ability, please book our free placement test*. We will give you the registration information after the test.
The child must be accompanied by parent or guardian when they arrive for placement testing and during the time when waiting for the placement test to begin. The child must be accompanied by their parent or guardian when leaving at the end of placement testing.
*Placement test: Brief reading and speaking test
*Booking a level placement slot does not ensure you will have an automatic space on the course. For example, classes may already be full or there may be no suitable options for your child. In these cases, we will provide you with alternative options to study with the British Council where possible.
Sunday Primary Plus 1 is now fully booked. (as of 12 Feb 2019)
For Sunday Primary Plus 2 and Primary Plus 3, only a few places remain. (as of 12 Feb 2019)