British Council

Q. I am looking for promotional materials (posters, flyers, stickers, flags etc.) to showcase UK culture. 
We do not provide physical materials. Please view the Britain is Great and UK Culture pages in LearnEnglish for free resources. 


Q. I am looking for funding for organising UK arts events in Japan. Can British Council help?
A. We are the UK's cultural relations organisation and not an arts funding body.
Please do check out these funding bodies below for opportunities that may be available to you;

Q. Where can I find information on Japanese art scene?
A. Please check these websites below for information.

JSPS Summer Programme 2017

The information about JSPS Summer Programme 2017


Q. Do I have to be a UK passport holder to apply? 
A. The current eligibility guidelines by the British Council state that in order to apply you must be a British citizen and UK passport holder. 

Q. I am a non UK passport holder studying at a UK based institution. Can I apply? 
A. Unfortunately, the current eligibility guidelines state that only UK passport holders can apply. Non-UK passport holding students of UK based institutions, EU residents or permanent residents are not eligible to apply at this time. 

Q. Do I have to be a PhD student to apply? 
A. We accept Master’s students on research degrees as well as M.Phil. and PhD students studying at a British university at the time of application.

Q. Can Master’s students apply? 
A. Yes, if you are enrolled on a research degree, such as an M.Phil. Students on taught degree Master’s programmes are not accepted. 

Q. I am on an integrated undergraduate/Master’s programme. Am I eligible to apply? 
A. No, unfortunately we only accept research degree Master’s students such as an M. Phil. and PhD students. 

Q. Do I need to apply for a visa? 
A. British citizens are not required to apply for a visa to enter and stay in Japan for the duration of the programme. You will be given a tourist visa upon entering Japan, which is valid for 90 days and will allow you to carry out your research on the JSPS Programme. (Please note that you cannot do activities that the tourist visa does not permit such as undertaking paid work etc.).

Q. I am a UK passport holder studying at a non-UK based institution can I apply? 
A. Your home university must be based in the UK. If you are currently doing research at another institution or living outside of the UK you are still eligible to apply if your home university is based in the UK. We do not accept applications from British citizens whose main institution is overseas. 

Q. Although my home university is a UK based institution, I am currently living overseas/visiting at a different institution. Can I apply? 
A. Yes. 

Q. Recently I have applied for a short term fellowship award with JSPS. Would I also be allowed to apply for this award? 
A. Those who have previously been awarded a fellowship under the JSPS Fellowship Programmes are not eligible. 


Q. What makes a strong application?

  • Clear goals for your research plan, which links to wider research interests and includes an achievable outcome for the 2 month programme.
  • Knowledge of where you would like to study and the expert you would like to work with. 
  • Achievements to date including past research, publications and prizes.
  • Interest in and willingness to engage with Japan, and the potential to establish future links whether individually or institutionally.

Q. When is the application deadline?
A. 15th January 2017, 11:59pm UK time. 

Q. Can I send my application by postal mail?
A. Yes, however we would prefer the application to be sent via email.

Q. Can I hand in my application directly to the British Council office?
A. Yes, however we would prefer the application to be sent via email.

Q. Do I need a reference from my home institution? 
A. No, however a reference from your institution may have a positive impact on your application. 

Q. Do I need a reference from my proposed host institution? 
A. No, however acceptance from an institution may have a positive impact on your application.

Q. I have received an acceptance email from my institution. Is that sufficient or do I need a formal letter? 
A. Yes, an email is acceptable provided we can verify it e.g. the date it was sent, sender email address etc. Please forward this email to the British Council. However, you will eventually need to forward a formal letter of acceptance from you host institution via e-mail to British Council.

Q. My research is very specialised and includes several field specific technical terms. Is this ok? 
A. Yes, we very much welcome and expect high quality and very technical applications. However, please bear in mind that the selection committee may include individuals who are not from your field and so your research should be clearly introduced, and be made understandable to those from diverse backgrounds. 

Q. Is any knowledge of Japanese language assumed or required for the programme?
A. Japanese language proficiency will not affect your application. No knowledge of Japanese language will be required to apply for this programme and having knowledge of Japanese language will be by no means detrimental. 

Q. Can the eligibility criteria be changed in special circumstances?
A. Unfortunately the eligibility criteria are set  for each application year and cannot be changed for that year. It is however reviewed every year and the eligibility criteria may change, so please keep checking our website or send an enquiry for updates. 

Q. Can the dates of the summer programme be changed? 
A. Unfortunately the schedule cannot be changed. 

Q. When will I receive the notification of the result? 
A. The applications are reviewed in late January/February and you should be notified of the result in late February/early March. 

Q. Can you assist me to find suitable host institutions?
A. Unfortunately, the British Council Japan cannot provide support in finding suitable host institutions. Many applicants find host institutions through their supervisors so we recommend you speak with your supervisors to see whether they have contacts at Japanese universities. The host researcher must be a researcher who is employed full-time or classified as being employed full-time (excluding Jokyo, assistant professors, and Joshu, research assistants) at a university or research institution that is eligible to apply to MEXT for funding under the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific-Research Program (KAKENHI) and approved by JSPS as an appropriate institution for hosting young foreign researchers.
Note: Full-time employment classification is determined by the regulations of the host institution.
The List of Eligible intuitions

During the programme

Q. Can I come earlier or stay after the programme?
A. Provided you have notified and received acknowledgement from your host institution, JSPS and the British Council, you are able to come earlier or stay after the programme as long as your stay is within the 90 day visa period. 
Please also note that attendance at the events scheduled by JSPS as a part of the programme such as the opening and closing ceremony are compulsory. 

Q. Can I leave Japan and come back to Japan during the programme?
A. In general it is expected that you will participate in the whole programme, however depending on the circumstance you may be allowed to be absent for a short period of time. Please consult with the British Council and JSPS. 

Q. Can I start the programme later or finish earlier than the schedule?
A. In general it is expected that you will participate in the whole programme however in special cases you may be allowed to start later or leave earlier. Please consult with the British Council and JSPS. 

Q. Can I stay longer than the 90 days allowed by the tourist visa? 
A. No, you are not allowed to stay beyond the 90 day visa period. You will have to leave Japan and enter in again to receive a new 90 day tourist visa. 

Q. Can I buy the flight ticket by myself and request reimbursement at a later date?
A. No.  Flight tickets will be arranged by a JSPS designated travel agent and we ask Fellows to not make independent flight arrangements.  JSPS will provide the Fellow with a round-trip airfare (a discounted economy ticket between the international airport nearest to the institution to which the Fellow is currently affiliated and Hanada International Airport or Narita International Airport).  Fellows will be contacted by a designated travel agent prior to the start of the Fellowship.  Fellows who purchase their own tickets will not be reimbursed.


Q. Are there any other fellowships for foreign doctoral /postdoctoral researchers?
A. JSPS offers several fellowship programmes for  foreign doctoral/ postdoctoral researchers.  You can find further information at JSPS website.

The information about JSPS Summer Programme 2017

See also