We have been recognised as a world leader in English teaching since our creation in 1934. Our work in English gives people – both in Britain and in the hundred-plus countries in which we work – opportunities to learn, share and connect with others worldwide. We continue to support the professional development of English teachers and students of all ages from all over the world learning English.
IELTS teacher-training workshops
Learn how to prepare your students for the Speaking and Writing papers of the IELTS test. Workshops run by British Council’s qualified and highly professional teacher-trainers.
<Sessions for this summer have been closed.>
- IELTS speaking teaching workshop
- IELTS writing teaching workshop
Find out more on course outline (PDF 280KB).
Seating capacity: 30
Price: JPY8,900(tax included) /session
Venue: British Council (1-2, Kagurazaka Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo)
- E-mail for inquiry to English Education team, British Council
Online teaching courses and resources
If you are an English language teacher or English Language Teaching (ELT) professional, we have lots of free resources to support your work.
- sign up to our online teacher training courses
- download free lesson plans and classroom materials
- get tips, articles and information about professional development, conferences and qualifications
- join discussion groups and access training materials.
Support for learners of English
We support learners of English in improving their knowledge and command of the language, whatever their age, level of English or reason for learning.
Our websites offer free-to-use materials for over 20 million adults, business professionals, parents and kids annually.
UK home to ELT and research
Find out about our work in English in the UK and around the world. On EnglishAgenda you can:
- find details of UK seminars by leading names in ELT
- browse and download the latest research papers and resource packs
- access the CPD portal with information, videos and handbooks for professional development for teachers and managers.
The British Council has engaged in an across-the-board collaboration with Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) to create and provide content for a new edition of MEXT’s Team Teaching Handbook.