Information on the application procedure for IELTS for UKVI
If you wish to take the IELTS examination for a UK visa application, please apply for the examination by following the procedure below. Please note that this procedure is a provisional measure until the online application system has been finalised
1. Check whether or not you require IELTS as a Secure English Language Test (SELT) for your UK visa application.
See the UK government’s website for details.
2. Check which type of IELTS examination you are required to take.
Check with the institution you will be attending which type of IELTS result you need.
- IELTS for UKVI Academic
- IELTS for UKVI General
- IELTS Life for Skills A1
- IELTS Life for Skills B1
* The choice of which IELTS examination to take is the responsibility of the candidate. Please be aware that test centres are unable to make changes or refund examinationfees in the case of applications for the wrong type of examination.
3. Check test locations and dates on the online application site, and input the candidate information required.
All this information must be inputted within a period of 30 minutes or less. A passport valid on the examination date is required in order to make an application, so please have your passport ready before inputting your details.
* Please ensure that you keep a record of the password you select at this stage, as it is needed when registering your payment details.
* The UK government has designated Osaka and Tokyo as the only approved test locations. Moreover, test dates may be changed at the discretion of the UK government.
4. Pay the examination fee by bank transfer.
A mail confirming your application and including details of where to transfer the examination fee will be sent to the email address registered during the application process. At present, the examination fee may only be paid by bank transfer. Please transfer the examination fee within three days of completing your online application, and register your transfer details online. Your application is complete once these details have been registered. If you fail to transfer the money by the deadline, your application will be cancelled.
- IELTS for UKVI examination fee: ￥39,095 (including tax)
- IELTS Life Skills examination fee: ￥29,320 (including tax)
5. Register your transfer details online.
Please input these details by 10 p.m. on the third day, counting the day on which you transfer your examination fee as the first day.
6. Your examination invitation, which you will need to take the examination, will be sent to the email address registered during the application process one week before the examination date.
* Examination invitations are not sent by post.
Register for IELTS in Japan quickly and easily through the EIKEN Foundation of Japan’s Online Registration Service or register by post. To register, please visit the EIKEN Foundation of Japan’s website.
1. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
- IELTS Academic
- IELTS General Training
To check which version of the test you need read: IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training
2. Check the IELTS test dates
For test venues and tests, please check the EIKEN Foundation of Japan’s page.
As there are a limited number of places for all sessions, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date, but places may be available after this date. Check the Online Registration System for live information and test dates.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test. If this is the case you will receive notification in advance.
3. Prepare your documents
To check which documents you need to send, please visit to the EIKEN Foundation of Japan’s website.
Please note that all the documents should be send to the EIKEN Foundation of Japan, for further details, please visit EIKEN Foundation of Japan.
4. Choose your payment options
Payment should be made to the EIKEN Foundation of Japan.
For the detail of the payment options, please see the EIKEN Foundation of Japan’s website.
5. Complete your registration
To complete the registration, please refer to the EIKEN Foundation of Japan’s website.
Copies of your results
Please note: if you would like your results (up to a maximum of five copies) to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form.
6. After you register
• The confirmation notice will be sent two weeks prior to the test date with start time and venue address.
For more information please contact the EIKEN Foundation of Japan.
IELTS has been designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
If you require any Special Arrangements for your test we can provide assistance. For example, we support visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia. Please contact EIKEN foundation of Japan 3 months in advance of your test date for details on how to apply for special arrangements.
Cancelations, Refunds and Transfers
If you wish to request a refund or transfer to a different date/test venue, please refer to the EIKEN Foundation of Japan’s website.