Do you need to prove your English language level for a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) application?

IELTS is on the UKVI list of approved Secure English Language Tests (SELT). If you need an IELTS test result as part of your application to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), you will need to take your test at a specific test location authorised by UKVI.

Please note: if you are applying for a Tier 4 student visa for a program of study at degree level or above at a Higher Education Institution, you should check the English language requirement of your chosen institution, as most institutions do not require a SELT for this purpose.

Test fees and registration

Test type Fee* Book your test
IELTS for UKVI (Academic and General Training)  30,600 JPY Book now
IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1)  23,000 JPY Book now

* For 7 April 2020 and onward tests, the test fee will be:

  • JPY 29,400 (tax included) for IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (Academic and General Training) 
  • JPY 21,000 (tax included) for IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1) 

In this section