Discover a new way of learning English this summer!
Please note that lessons will take place onsite but online if necessary due to the Covid-19 updates.
This summer, we are running a 5-day x 2 weeks English course for teenagers age 12-18 using the British Council’s original Secondary Plus programme. Students will have the chance to study with us for three hours each day, learning English along with coding activities.
Secondary Plus is a modern and innovative English course which is unique to the British Council. The course has been written in consultation with a team of experienced British Council course writers, who know and understand the needs and wants of our teenage students and provides clear real-life outcomes via interesting and challenging tasks and projects.
The course materials are delivered in an exciting magazine-style format, which learners are issued each week. Stimulating up-to-date topics linked to current issues and real-life tasks provide the incentive for students to develop their communication skills in English, as well as the core skills for learning that includes:
・Communication and Collaboration
Learning to learn is another key feature of Secondary Plus which enables learners to become more effective and independent language learners. Throughout the course learners are guided and supported by their teacher and peers so they build positive relationships and learn with and from each other in collaborative works.
Secondary Plus also links to the British Council’s highly acclaimed Learn English Teens website, which provides students with additional stimulating and engaging learning content.
SECONDARY PLUS BASIC COURSE INFORMATION
- Delivered in an engaging magazine-style format
- A modular, project-based approach: stimulating up-to-date topics linked to current issues and real-life tasks provide incentive for students to develop their communication skills in English
- Learning how to learn: Secondary Plus encourages students to learn how to learn so they become more effective and independent language learners
Learn more about Secondary Plus
Upper Secondary Plus for High School Students
【Topic and Task for Secondary Plus Summer】
|Secondary Plus 1||1||Let’s Play Sport!||Sports||Create a role-play set in a sports centre|
|2||We’re Going on a Holiday||Holidays and Tourism||Plan a tour of your town or city|
|Secondary Plus 2||1||Let’s Enjoy Life!||Social life and activities||Create an advert for a summer camp|
|2||Lights, Camera, Action!||Films||Create a film trailer|
|Upper Secondary||1||Wanderlust||Life at the edge of civilisation||Plan a round-the-world trip|
|2||Fantastic Beasts||The role of animals in human lives||Present an argument for ‘saving’ an animal of your choice|
Please see the ‘Secondary Plus Summer Course Overview’ for the details.
Combining English language and computer skills empowers teenagers with critical skills, creativity and imagination for their future. Students will challenge to apply their English skill and core skills to coding project related to the weekly topic using BBC micro:bit – a tiny programmable computer.
The micro:bit lessons help students:
- Learn about the principles of computer programming
- Use micro:bit to code a number of programs
- Incorporate new vocabulary and grammar into their English
- Participate in project-based learning to enhance their confidence in their abilities
- Enjoy activities designed to help them to advance in all areas of English.